Protecting your smile takes diligence and some forethought. You want to make sure that you’re caring for your whole mouth, not just your teeth.
With this in mind, our West Bloomfield dentists are here with some helpful information about periodontal disease—the leading cause of tooth loss among adult dental patients. We hope that this information empowers you to seek prompt and effective treatment for gum disease. We have seen firsthand just how powerful early intervention can be.
Just as teeth develop dental cavities, your gum tissue can be infected by harmful oral bacteria as well. When this happens, your gum tissue begins to break down. Over time, the underlying connective tissues that hold your teeth in place can also weaken and become stretched out. This is why periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among adult dental patients.
The sooner that you are able to begin treatment for gum disease, the better your long-term oral health prognosis. So, stay alert for these signs that you may be dealing with gum disease:
- Gum tissue that looks redder and more inflamed than normal
- Gums that are swollen—you may notice sensitivity
- Gum tissue that is prone to bleeding, especially when you floss and eat abrasive foods
- Persistent, hard-to-treat bad breath—this is a product of a build-up of harmful oral bacteria in the mouth
- Visible plaque and tartar in those areas where your teeth and gum tissues meet
If you are able to identify, and seek treatment for, these issues as soon as they emerge, you will improve your chances of avoiding a whole range of oral health and whole-body health issues that frequently accompany gum disease.
Our West Bloomfield periodontics dentists provide the effective and patient-friendly treatments you need to regain a healthy smile. The best way to get started is to contact our dental team to schedule a personal consultation.