Are you worried your veneers will become dull over time? Choosing to transform your teeth with these permanent restorations requires that you commit to improving your oral hygiene and giving up bad habits that can sabotage your new smile. But is it possible to whiten veneers in West Bloomfield if they become stained? A cosmetic dentist explains what you should do before attempting a store-bought whitening kit and how to avoid discoloration from the start.
Whitening Veneers: Is It Possible?
Although it is true that it is much harder for the non-porous materials used to create veneers to become stained or discolored, it does not mean they are impenetrable. If you neglect your oral hygiene routine, practice bad habits (i.e., smoking), or consume too many dark-colored beverages over time, you will find that your veneers appear much less vibrant than before.
You may think that using one of the many do-it-yourself (DIY) whitening kits at your local drug store will boost your appearance. Unfortunately, it is possible that you might do more damage to your veneers than if you were to see a trusted and experienced cosmetic dentist in West Bloomfield.
So, can they be whitened? It depends. If stains are severe, it is unlikely you will be able to recapture the whiter, brighter smile you originally invested your time and money into receiving. However, if it appears that the stains are only on the surface, your dentist may be able to remove them with regular cleanings. But you will need to commit to practicing your own positive oral habits at home, too.
How to Prevent Stains From Occurring
While it is true that deep, set-in stains will require that your dentist remove and replace your veneers, you can avoid this by being proactive at home and taking better care of your smile. If you want to extend the lifespan of your veneers, it is imperative that you:
- Minimize or limit the consumption of coffee, soda, tea, red wine, berries, soy sauce, and any other darkly pigmented foods or beverages.
- Keep your regular six-month dental checkups and cleanings with your cosmetic dentist so they can examine your veneers to ensure no problems are developing.
- Brush your teeth after every meal to keep bacteria and food particles from settling onto your teeth and forming stains.
- Floss between your teeth to prevent discoloration from forming in the crevices of your smile.
- Drink plenty of water and make sure to rinse after eating to flush out any potentially harmful food particles.
- Avoid using your teeth as tools and inquire about a customized mouthguard if you are prone to grinding your teeth at night, as this can wear down your veneers.
Don’t let bad habits resurface after receiving your veneers. If you begin to notice a slight dullness to your smile, get in to see your dentist right away and avoid shortening the lifespan of your restorations.
About the Practice
At LakeView Family Dental, our team of expert dental professionals is here to provide exceptional cosmetic dental solutions that will transform smiles and boost confidence. With custom-made veneers, patients can watch imperfections immediately disappear and be replaced by beautiful, natural restorations that can last a decade or longer with proper care. If you are interested in saying goodbye to the various flaws that are keeping you from embracing a more fulfilling life, contact us via our website or call (248) 363-3304.